To put it as simply as possible, a blog without readers isn’t a blog at all. It’s just you talking to yourself. For a blog to be successful, it needs to have readers. More specifically, it needs to have readers who will interact with you and share your posts with their friends.
So what can you do to get more readers for your blog? To understand, you need to first know what things you shouldn’t do as a blogger. These are the 5 things that will cause you to lose blog readers.
- Not having a specific focus—Your blog needs to have a niche. I’m not saying you can’t push the boundaries of that niche, because you should. After all, no one wants to read the same old, same old time and time again. But your readers do have expectations, and if you suddenly switch things up on them, they’re going to leave.
- Updating inconsistently—How often you update is really up to you, but I recommend setting a publishing schedule and sticking to it. This way, your readers get used to hearing from you at a certain time each day or week.
- Giving out bad information—If you start dishing out bad advice and incorrect information to your readers, they’ll stop trusting you. Always fact-check your info, and make sure you’re comfortable standing behind everything you say.
- Turning your blog into a big advertisement—There’s nothing wrong with having advertising on your blog. The key is to incorporate it without ruining the user experience. No one wants to go to a blog that’s overloaded with advertisements. And while I’m on the subject, no one wants to read or share blog posts that are thinly-veiled ads for some product you’re pushing.
- Being a jerk to your readers—Interacting with your readers in the comments is part of being a blogger. But too many bloggers make fools of themselves when they do this. If you can’t accept criticism, you shouldn’t be a blogger. If you can’t handle readers sharing opposing points of view, you shouldn’t be a blogger.
What are some other mistakes bloggers make that cause them to lose readers? Share your tips by leaving a comment below.
- 7 Deadly Blogging Mistakes
- Do You Want More Blog Subscribers?
- Is your Blog a Kick Ass Guide?
- 6 Sure Ways to Commit Blog Suicide – Part 2
- Which Seinfeld Character Are You When You Blog?
"Newsletter" Our weekly newsletter features some of the best curated SEO content from around the web!