Thanks to a recent feature story in Entrepreneur magazine, ghost Tweeting has once again become a hotly debated subject. So, I thought Iâ€™d throw in my $.02 on the subject.
Note: For those who donâ€™t know, ghost Tweeting is when you hire someone else to Tweet under your name.
- It goes against the whole point of social mediaâ€”Call me crazy, but isnâ€™t the whole point of social media to be, umm, social? Social media is about interacting, building relationships, getting to know one another, and just being yourself. Now, if someone else is Tweeting under your personal name, doesnâ€™t that violate all of this? Itâ€™s like when a 50 year old fat guy in a chat room pretends to be a 21 year old blonde chick. Not cool, man.
- It can distort the brand imageâ€”Celebrities and high-profile execs are usually the ones who hire people to ghost Tweet for them, and I get it. Theyâ€™re busy. The last thing they have time for is to Tweet all day, but they also want to build their brand and keep their name out there. However, I think this is a bit dangerous and can easily backfire. Even if the ghost writer is good at capturing your exact tone and personality, thereâ€™s no way they can know the celebâ€™s thoughts on every subject they Tweet about. Sooner or later, something will be Tweeted that isnâ€™t in line with the celebâ€™s â€śpersonal brandâ€ť, and this will distort that image and confuse their audience.
- The speed of Twitter makes it difficult to editâ€”I understand ghost blogging because the ghost writer has time to interact with the credited author to get ideas for posts and edits on their writing. But Twitter is a real-time conversation. Thereâ€™s no time for editing and approving every single Tweet before it gets published. This creates a dangerous environment where the ghost writer can very easily slip up by Tweeting something they shouldnâ€™t, and as a result, itâ€™s the celebrity who ends up paying for it.
Alternatives to Ghost Tweeting
- Hire a social media consultant to train you on how best to use Twitter.
- Tweet when you have time. Quality over quantity.
- Donâ€™t Tweet at all
- Should You Have Someone Writing Your Blogs for You?
- How To Effectively Tweet On Android
- 5 Social Media Sites that you must explore
- How to Grow a Targeted Twitter Following
- 9 Specific Ways Your Business Can Use Twitter
"Newsletter" Our weekly newsletter features some of the best curated SEO content from around the web!